It's no surprise that email marketing and text marketing should play distinct roles in your overall business marketing strategy. These two communication channels hold unique features in the way they get your message across the potential audience. The most challenging part is determining which platform will give you the highest ROI for each campaign you're running.
Is email marketing effective? Should you focus on text message marketing? Which is a consistent way to approach your prospective audience? With so many questions, it can be challenging to pick an ideal platform for your next marketing campaign.
Confused about which channel to choose to get the best results? No worries! In this blog post, we will talk about email and text marketing in detail and the critical differences between the two. Take a closer look and determine which one will work best for you.
But, before directly jumping into the comparison between email and text marketing, let's start with the basics.
What is Email Marketing?
I am sure you are familiar with email marketing. If you have ever signed up for a newsletter or company updates, you have no doubt been bombarded by countless emails telling you about their latest product or service. While it may feel like you never read or even opened any of the marketing emails you received, it is still a highly effective online marketing strategy. All in all, a solid email marketing strategy can help convert prospects into customers.
What is Text Marketing?
Text marketing, also referred to as SMS marketing, is a relatively new business tool. While SMS is a popular communication channel for individuals, it is just starting to be adopted by businesses as a tool to communicate with their customers.
Texting is the most-used mobile device feature since anyone with a phone can send a text message to any other individual using their mobile phone number. It's no surprise that the business world has started to take hold of its massive potential through marketing and sales initiatives.
In the marketing world, businesses send SMS messages for varying purposes beyond just customer acquisition. With text messages, a company might conduct client service, confirm appointments, share shipping information, and sometimes even use the mass texting feature for friction-less communication.
The data also shows that 85% of mobile users prefer receiving a text message from businesses over emails or phone calls. This statistic shows that you need to consider text marketing as a supplement to your email marketing strategy. For more details on how your business can benefit from texting, click here.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Email Marketing
Email marketing is a great online platform for building brand awareness and initiating audience engagement. This marketing channel enables you to reach millions of people with just a click of a button. Here, we are going to talk about the pros and cons of email marketing.
- Email is better for cold outreach. While you still need opt-in for mass emails, you can send 1-to-1 cold emails as part of your sales and marketing strategy. On the other hand, all text messages must be opted in to, or you could face stiff legal penalties.
- Email is a flexible platform that enables designers to utilize various styles from HTML to plain text.
- Emails are easy and cost-effective (to a certain point).
- Email marketing has proven over the decades to have a considerable ROI.
- Emails can give you access to a mobile audience, as 49% of all emails are viewed on phones.
- An email marketing campaign's success is measurable; most email platforms offer analytics dashboards for even basic packages.
- An email marketing campaign is scalable. You can use it to reach both smaller targeted lists and large audiences.
- You can share long stories and messages as there is no character limit like there is with text messaging.
- Automation tools have made email more powerful. For example, using automated triggers, like recent purchases and website activity, you can reach the right audience, in the right place, at the right time with the best offer.
- Emails are less intrusive, which means recipients can read your emails at their convenience (whenever they get time).
- Spam filters are the most significant risk of all with email marketing, limiting deliverability.
- Sending emails to your audience may not cost much more than a few dollars a send, but the expenses of launching email marketing campaigns add up in design and scale.
- The number of emails people receive can be overwhelming. Often, this results in people ignoring much of the email in their inbox.
- People typically turn off their email notification, especially for work or business email.
- Sending too many emails can raise red flags for providers and may result in your email domain being permanently blocked by email service providers.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Text Marketing
The demand for text message marketing increases every day among small businesses due to a combination of advanced technology and changing customer preferences. In this section, we will discuss the pros and cons of using SMS marketing for your business.
- Texting creates a much more personal connection.
- Texting is easy to use and highly interactive.
- Text messaging is suitable for timely deals since your customers are more likely to see the message quickly.
- Text messages are delivered and opened in real-time, making them ideal if you require immediate action or are sending out meeting reminders.
- Texting has high engagement rates with a 98% open rate and a 45% response rate.
- Texting comes with an easy to opt-in and opt-out option.
- It is a very cost-effective communication or marketing channel for small businesses.
- Texts are easily accessible and do not need an internet connection.
- You need permission to send a text and must follow TCPA guidelines.
- Text messaging has limitations as far as design is concerned, although you can use emojis and photos to spice up your messages.
- There can be restrictions on marketing your services or products.
- SMS messages can feel intrusive when done poorly, making customers frustrated.
- The costs of texting for business may be higher than those of email.
When to Use Email Marketing
As a general rule of thumb, email marketing is useful when the information you want to share with your audience is not time-sensitive because the average open rate of an email is 24.8%. In case if your email gets opened, it takes email users, on average, 90 minutes to respond to your email (vs. 90 seconds for an SMS).
Email marketing is also suitable when you have lots of information or long email messages to share or send (whereas, you can type only 160 characters within a text message). Other marketing campaigns which are best supported by email marketing involve:
- Press or Publicity Updates
- Product updates
Email marketing is a great channel when it comes to building brand recognition and sharing of long-form content. Remember, sharing relevant and personalized content is the future of email marketing. Since most people consider promotional emails spam, keep your future email campaigns personalized, so they resonate with your audience. As per Statista, there will be an estimated 4.48 billion email users across the globe by 2024.
When to Use Text Message / SMS Marketing
On the other hand, text message marketing campaigns are best if you want a higher probability of your messages to be viewed, as the texts open rate is around 98%. Text marketing is one of the most engaging and efficient methods to convey time-sensitive information among your prospective audience. Though there are several challenges, like getting customers' phone numbers, overarching costs, etc., text messaging is usually the best method to capture your audience's attention.
Texting is preferred when your message is brief, and the call to action is straightforward, such as taking a survey, confirming your appointment, checking out a sale, and more. With around 160 character limits on average, you can benefit from keeping your messages clear and concise.
Text messaging is also an excellent fit for some other marketing campaigns because your message is much more likely to be seen in a timely fashion:
- Product Sales or Offers
- B2C Campaigns
- Donation Solicitations or Asks
If we talk about the scope of text marketing - it enables you to reach out to your clients by sending instant messages in real-time. After all, most users check out their texts as soon as they receive them - 83% of millennials check text messages within 90 seconds. That's why you should send texts during regular business hours to respond if you receive any replies.
Text Vs. Email: Which One Is Better For Your Business?
Both email marketing and text marketing can help you take your business to the next level, but only with a well thought out strategy. You need to weigh both communication channels' costs and benefits as they require time and monetary investments and should not be executed sloppily.
As you can see, it is clear that email marketing will be more effective when you have to communicate complex information or stories. On the contrary, texting helps build personal connections, quick reminders, and updates that need immediate action.
When it comes down to deciding which one is better for your business, much like anything else in life, the decision depends on the requirements.
But simultaneously, you cannot avoid the excellent benefits of text-based marketing. The data shows that text marketing performs seven times better than email marketing. So, are you still confused? For more reasons on why you should use a business text messaging service, click here.
Undoubtedly, texting can give your business an edge over your competition. For optimal results from your SMS marketing campaigns, we suggest using a software solution like Avochato, which makes it easier than ever to manage business SMS at scale.
Both email and text marketing should play a significant part in your overall business marketing strategy. If you're looking for real-time, instant communication with high engagement for your business, you should go with business text messaging. Incorporating texting as a communication channel in your marketing strategy can surely help you boost your business efficiency and revenue.
To get the most out of your text message marketing campaigns, consider opting for Avochato text message software. Sign up for a free trial now and see how it can help you take your business to the next level.